HISTORY OF SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 20 (KOOTENAY COLUMBIA)
School districts were established in British Columbia prior to the Province entering Confederation in 1871. These school districts could be either municipal or rural and were assigned names, usually for the community or rural area they served. In 1946, the Provincial Government reorganized the administration of education in the province reducing the number of districts from 650 to 79. Each new school district was assigned a number and name. At that time the current School District No. 20 consisted of School District No. 9 (Castlegar) and School District No. 11 (Trail).
In 1996, the Provincial Government restructured school districts again. In the Lower Columbia River region School Districts No. 9 and 11 were amalgamated to form School District No. 20 and assigned the name Kootenay Columbia. The District’s Board office is located in Trail. There are currently 57 school districts in BC.
DESCRIPTION OF COLLECTION
The collection of historic items related to the former School District #9 and #11 consist of the following:
- School text books and reference materials
- Teacher resources and supplies
- Class registers for most schools
- Student trophies and awards
- School musical instruments
- Maps and plans
- Classroom furniture
- Photographs of schools and students
ACCESS POLICY/DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
The archival collection of the Society is available to the public for research or genealogical purposes. Under Provincial law, the records in the Society’s possession remain the property of School District No. 20 and some records held by the Society may not be available to the public. Please contact us to determine if the record or information you are seeking may be released to you. In some cases records may be released with the permission of School District No. 20, subject to the provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
Where We Are
The Society has been provided space in the basement of the JL Crowe Secondary School in Trail by School District No. 20 where it has its offices and storage facilities for the archival and artifact collection. The Society Board of Directors meet monthly at this location.
Visit the Contact Us page for our address and a map of our location.