An acre of land was donated for the school by Mr. and Mrs. Boyd C. Affleck. Building plans from Victoria made provision for later expansion. The first school was built at least partly by volunteer labour. In the fall of 1939, pupils were taught in Hansen's log house, and after Christmas in Love's small Sunday school building. According to provincial records, this school opened in 1940.