The first school in what is now known as Columbia Gardens was built in 1898 when the area was called Columbia. Seven-eighths of an acre was purchased for a new school around 1910. The size of the school was 33' by 27' by 12' and was built in 1910 -1911.
From 1926 on, they had grades one to ten. The District paid approximately $600 toward salaries, the provincial government paid the rest. Students came from the Pend d'Oreille on horseback and from Waneta. Some walked five miles there and back each day. This school was used until 1954.