The first school in Fruitvale was opened in 1907. The teacher from 1907-1908 was Mr. Tom Henderson and there were nineteen girls and nine boys present.
In 1910, a school was opened on the site of the first primary school (where the Senior’s Manor is now). At this time the school also served as a community hall. In 1921 another room was added and basements under both rooms, where a coal furnace was installed.
By 1936 the school had again outgrown its quarters and two more rooms were added, with a small teachers' room which in turn was soon needed as a classroom. Soon even the basements were being used for classrooms.