Until the Montrose Elementary School opened in 1952, pupils went by bus to the L J Morrish Elementary in Trail. Built on land donated by Len Simmons, the school opened three classrooms in January, 1952, with twenty-one pupils in grade 1 to 3 and twenty-two pupils in grades 4 to 6. Mr. S. (Buzz) Nutini was the first Principal and Miss Selma Frew was the primary teacher.
Grade 7 pupils ceased to be enrolled in the school in 1977 when they were transferred to the Beaver Valley Middle School in Fruitvale. In 1996, grade 6 pupils were also transferred to the BV Middle School. The Montrose Elementary was closed in June, 2003.