In 1908, a few residents of the community that would become Castlegar formed a committee, bought lumber and built a one room school on the property where Eremeko building presently stands. In 1923, a two room school house was constructed on the property now housing the Courthouse and the School District No. 20 maintenance shop and bus garages. The rooms were separated by a folding wall which could turn the school into one large room. The community also used the space as a meeting hall, concert hall, a church or a Sunday school room. In 1932, a third room was added and in 1938, three more rooms were added. In the 1930s and continuing until almost 1950 the school taught pupils from grades 1 to 8. In 1951, when Stanley Humphries High School was built, grades seven and eight moved to the new school.