This community can be reached across the Kootenay River by ferry only. The first school was established in the community in 1917 and was made from brick. However it was victim of fire. In 1933, a new school was built. This school had one classroom at each end of the building, and a four room teacherage. The building itself was more luxurious than many other schools in the area. Unfortunately it burned down in 1937. In 1938 an old brick building which once was a store was used as the school.