Originally, Kinnaird was known as Stewardsville. In approximately 1917, a one-room frame building was constructed to serve as a school for the children of the mill workers. This school operated until 1932.
In 1948, the Kinnaird Elementary School opened with three primary classrooms. Eventually, new classrooms were added to accommodate the increased enrollment of students as the community grew. In 1978, the original Kinnaird elementary school building was totally destroyed by fire and the pupils were dispersed to other elementary schools in the District until a new school was built.